Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 29 2010 Letter

29 March 2010

Dear Everyone,

Monday

We went to the Mission Office and asked if we could use a car to go shopping. Because the Zone Leaders were suspended because the new one had an accident where a bee flew out of his shirt, he freaked and ran into a wall... I laughed so hard. But anyway we asked for a car and they gave us a truck to use but only if we took the sisters to Bindura, which is about an hour and a half away. So we took them and came back, yep.

Tuesday

We had a lesson with Dorcas, Tawanda and Zvikomborero(good luck with that one :)). We asked them to read the introduction and the testimonies in the Book of Mormon. We asked them what they learned and they launched into a very complete summary ending with their testimony that they had fasted and prayed and they all know that this book is true! I was so happy and a little shocked, actually. But they will be baptized in the coming month I think.

Wednesday

We taught Learnmore, who is a referral from another investigator we have named Garikai, we also left the introduction with him to read and the testimonies. He told us EVERYTHING, he basically taught us the restoration, he even named off the names of the eight witnesses from memory! He asked us quite a few questions, like where has this book been, does it go with the Bible, and some other things we explained about it and Joseph Smith and the First Vision. Then he asked when he could be baptized. What?! This is only the second time we've taught him! Anyway we told him there was still more to learn but that he could and would be baptized if that is what he really wants.

A family offered me some soda, I politely declined and asked for water. They politely declined and said that if I don't drink soda they could just get a Coke... Again I politely declined again they asked if Fanta was okay... Or creme soda? Oh I was so close to just taking one, but finally they offered me some Kool-Aid so it all worked out okay.

Thursday

This morning we went with President Dube to the bank because my companion's dad transferred him some money, but they didn't have the right number so... we left. But I have spoken with President more than a lot of the older missionaries, which I thought was interesting. Then we had a service project at a recent convert's home. Where we dressed in normal clothes... it felt so weird not to be in a white shirt and tie! I wasn't comfortable the whole time. But we get there and we organized a pile of rocks and bricks and then she takes us to the back where the chicken coop is... Can you sense where this is going? She then asks us to crawl under the coop and clean up the poo. We ask for some shovels and she just looked at us. Apparently they do it all by hand here... Again, can you see where this is going? So yes, in fact we did clean up a lot of chicken feces BY HAND! I can already sense your revulsion, trust me I was grossed out. I washed my hands so many times after that.

But on the way there our driver was smoking weed. We told ourselves that if we died we would go to the celestial Kingdom, but then we picked up a group of small children going to school... I was nervous for the small children but it all ended well.

Friday

We taught the Word of Wisdom to Florence and Alfred. Alfred has smoked since 1972. He said he wanted to stop and he wanted to be baptized but he wasn't sure he could stop because he's been doing it for so long. We expressed our complete confidence in him but he still seemed unsure.

Saturday

We had a lot of appointments scheduled but almost all of them fell through. Which was okay, we did manage to talk to a lot of people along the way though. Some even seemed like they would actually come to church.

Then we went to the Dandara family, a recent convert family and we are teaching their niece, they fed us Sudza, Kovo and fish. The sudza and kovo was great as always. But the fish I struggled with. I got the tail and had to suck the rotted fish meat off the tiny bones that crunched in your mouth and then you had to pick from between your teeth, want me to stop? Ok I will, but I really like the family and the niece is progressing well.

Sunday

We confirmed Paul and Lorainne today in church which was cool. Then after church we gave Sister Jack a blessing because she wasn't feeling very well and she was due any day now. Then we taught Garikai who will be interviewed this week for baptism. Then a little later we visited an inactive family. The parents were sealed in the Temple, but they have stopped coming to church because of failing health and a lack of money and desire. They are a great family and we taught them about faith and how when we have true faith it leads to action like keeping the commandments. They really latched on and enjoyed the lesson but I'm not sure when or if they'll come back. Hopefully that gave them something to think about.

So that was my week! How was yours? I hope everything is going well and you are all in my prayers.


Love,

Elder Gay

3 comments:

  1. Steven you are a brave soul! I could not pick up that chicken poop with my bare hands or eat any kind of fish..especially what you described! it sounds like an adventure and it sounds like you're doing a great job out there reaching a lot of people!
    p.s. I know it says Ethan, but this is Jessica (from tumbling in the good old days haha) I'm using my fiance's account because I don't have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven....I am going to send you gloves. Chicken poop is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally laughed forever picturing that guy running into a wall...cuz it's totally something I'd do :)

    ReplyDelete