Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

3/1/10 letter

So this week has been filled with things. Tuesday we taught a woman named Dorcas. She is very intelligent, organizing self help groups and is on her way to getting an international work visa, after which she hopes to move and find a job in Canada... I have no idea why. But after our very first lesson she introduced us to her family and she wants us to teach them all.Then walking home we found a crab, we named him Jimmy, and we were taking him home but then we set him free instead.Wednesday we got robbed! Okay so it probably wasn't Wednesday we just discovered that twenty fuel coupons were missing, all in all about five or six hundred dollars worth which was hidden in a Book Of Mormon, so I checked my suit case where I had fifty dollars and it was gone! My first robbery! It was kind of cool but it also sucked, for obvious reasons. Then we went out to declare the Word, and one of our potential investigators is a Jehovah's Witness... yes! I thought that was awesome. But it started to rain so I brought out my umbrella which you fling to open and I did that and I totally scared some little kids. They thought I was going to beat them. So my companion stole my umbrella and did that all day. The little kids were so scared, but their parents just laughed.Thursday we had our regular morning except the APs came and sat in on companion study and weekly plan, I don't know why. But we had no money to get to our area and our service project fell through so we cleaned our flat. I mean we REALLY cleaned. It was so dirty but it looked so nice after we were done. I actually felt more tired after cleaning than a full day of teaching. But we rewarded ourselves with a killer dinner of mashed potatoes, chicken, corn, and blueberry muffins!(I even enjoyed the corn... I know, right?!)So apparently I'm driving to Zambia on the eighth because I don't have my TEP(Temporary Employment Permit) yet. So I have to leave the country to get another visitors Visa. So I had to get driving tested. Driving on the left was kind of weird but mostly I kept turning the wipers on(because I was trying to signal my turns, but it's on the wrong side). I also couldn't see the potholes or the road really, because people here don't know what their brights are for, so they ALWAYS have them on. ALWAYS. But I didn't crash! Yay! But when I go to Zambia I am going to be driving through game parks! So I'll be driving past elephants, rhinos, lions, giraffes and who know what else! I am so stoked! I'll make sure I take pictures, even though I can't send them... but I have faith that I will be able to sometime!On Friday a "cop"(he didn't really look like one) came to get our statements about the robbery and totally threw off my schedule, I felt all skiwompus the entire day. But we taught Dorcas with her entire family which was awesome.Then we went to teach Solomon who was about to be interviewed for baptism, but during the lesson he said that he smoked again! He has been a chain smoker all his life(He is almost sixty) and he made it three weeks without a single cigarette but then he caught his daughter and her boyfriend doing some funny funny things and he told him to get out so the boy filed an assault charge and Solomon got taken to prison for the night and had to pay a fine of five dollars(which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is!) so he caved and bummed a smoke off someone and then he bought his own pack. So I traded him a sucker for his pack of cigarettes and recommitted him to live the Word Of Wisdom. We had to postpone his baptism but we really appreciated his honesty, I think he really understands the importance of it, so he wants to be ready. But now I have cigarettes... I destroyed them but I kept the box and put in my journal.But as we were walking to the com-b some super drunk guy invaded my space to share my umbrella(it was raining)! Can you believe the nerve?!Saturday we went to the Open House of the new Mbare Chapel. It is a very nice building, I would say it's nicer than the ones back home. It was so nice! But after I "got" to drive to Chitungwiza to take water to some Elders who didn't have any filtered drinking water. I drove for three hours... yay!(except not really)Sunday we confirmed Sister Muderikwa(Paul, Loraine, and Lloyd were late so they weren't). She was so happy! One of our investigators failed her baptismal interview, the District Leader said she needed a stronger testimony, which might be true, but she was distraught and she's been making a lot of progress lately so I felt really bad for her.But after we taught Garikai at Brother Mhlanga's and we gave him a baptismal date! But after we went to Paul and Loraine's(the couple I baptized), and had a lesson about Temples. I miss temples... anyway after the lesson they gave me chocolate cookies(because I said in the investigator's class that chocolate was my favorite food) and I felt awkward. Because they live in on room with everything they own and they got me chocolate cookies... I tried to refuse politely but they told me that if I rejected their cookies they would reject my word, so I took them. I was very humbled by their generosity. They were very delicious too!Tell Matt he needs to get over it. Six months isn't a very long time and the opportunities he will get will be worth that time. Change is all part of the Eternal Plan and if he quits now he'll regret it for the rest of his life.Thanks for all the love and support! Especially you Mom, have fun in Florida and make sure Matt does the right thing!I appreciate the e-mails and the stories from back home.Be Strong. Never Give Up. Endure to the End.

Love,Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment