Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Monday, March 22, 2010

3/15/2010 LETTER

Dear Peoples!

This last week has been very interesting. Because as you might or might not know I had Zone conference and then the next morning I drove to Zambia(about an eight or nine hour drive) because my visa was running out and I had to flee the country! I haven't heard from the police officer about my conviction so I guess he decided I'm not guilty. But yea I woke up at three thirty to get ready to drive out at five. We got everything and started driving. Not much happened for quite a while although I got a pretty freakin awesome picture of an African sunrise!We drove and I was just looking out the window looking at the amazing country side as it rolled by. Then towards the border we drove by Lake Kariba and that was a million dollar view. It was gorgeous, I got some pictures but I'm sure it won't be the same. But we had breakfast/lunch in a restaurant the was on the shore of the lake... wow! Very awesome. And then soon after we drove and there were totally baboons everywhere! They were just on the side of the road! I kind of freaked I was so excited I mad them stop the car so I could get some pictures, but they all ran away but I did get one very awesome picture! Those were the only animals we saw, apparently the elephants are in the bush this time of year, sad I know but still, baboons! Then we went through some awesome mountain ranges and then through the border. Which wasn't very exciting, just long. But in between the border gates was the Kariba Dam. And it had rained a lot and the lake was flooding so they opened the dam, and it was sweet! I am not sure I have ever seen so much turbulent water, of course I took pictures even if it was a "no photography or you will be shot" area, but again I'm not sure it will be the same.Then we passed into Zambia, where I saw a lot of goats. And I mean a lot. Then we drove to the missionaries' house where I would be staying. They were Elder Butler, and Elder Ndlovu. A Utahn and an African... I'll let you figure out who is from where. I worked with them for a week and I learned a lot, they are both older on mission than me. But we went to their investigators and less actives and recent converts. Very cool people, and at sacrament it was very well organized and there was a white person! I was shocked, until I found out he is an RM who returned to Zambia, and his new wife was in the branch he served in for nine months.... hahahaha. Funny, funny things. We went to visit a less active and when we got there we saw her foot was about triple the normal size. So we ask about it and she told us she was bitten by a snake! Oh man, I was so excited. So I went off asking questions about what snake bit her(she didn't know), how she was treated, which she wasn't because the doctors said the snake wasn't venomous... bull snapple! And her symptoms, I deduced that it was a smaller viper, hematoxin, and of course that she should go and demand anti-venom. But she told me that a gogo was coming to treat her by sucking out the venom and treating it with crushed plants on the wound.... I corrected those falsehoods quickly but I don't think she believed me. She is now doing much better after having followed my advice and going back to the hospital. We visited a few more times and she was telling me things the witches there could do, like fly on dinner plates... and that was the most believable of them so... yeah very odd things.Another family we visited loved to feed us. And they gave me the gizzard! Which means that I am the man of the house! Apparently it is a very big honor so I was very excited to receive it. It tasted good too, kind of like heart but bigger. I had a lot of fun while in Zambia and I even enjoyed going to another Zone Conference and seeing everyone. Everyone in my MTC group was there, except Sister Bandihai, but it was good to see them again. I really liked the chance to go with two other Elders and see how they work. They are good guys, I really enjoyed my time with them.The drive home was a lot shorter I am not sure why but it was. At the Zimbabwe side they said we had to go back to Lusaka(where we stayed in Zambia), because Elder Ndulu didn't have his vaccinations card. But by listening to the spirit and a little "righteous exchange" we were able to pass. But I have been granted my TEP! So I don't have to flee the country again!Transfers were supposed to be announced today but I haven't been told if I'm staying or going. But I feel like I'm staying, I'm not sure but it feels that way. I'll let you know next week if I'm wrong or not. Again the drive was very scenic and we past a street vendor who was selling a snake skin, so obviously I stopped and began to bargain. He wanted 250,000 Kwacha(about 5000 kwacha to a dollar) and I only had 40,000 so I told him that and he didn't want to sell for less because the snake had killed his goats and he needed the money but that's all I had! So I tried but we were in a hurry and we had to leave and I didn't get the snake skin. I was very distraught, because it was a beautiful skin and it was big. But I won't let that happen again the next time I see one I am not leaving without my 6M snake skin! And that is final! So that has been my week. How has yours been?Be Strong. Never Give Up. Endure to the End.Love,Elder Gay
P.S. Until I know differently all mail can be sent to
65 Enterprise RoadHighlands, HarareZimbabwe
Thanks for all the love!
Happy late Birthday Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment