Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Monday, March 22, 2010

3/22/2010 letter

This last week has been very busy. We have taught a lot of lessons and we are preparing some people for baptism, so the work is going!In my area, Kuwadzana, water pipes have been bursting, so the entire area was without water for about a week. The people were really struggling but they managed and adjusted because they are used to these challenges. Luckily where I live we still had water but I felt terrible for those that were waterless. Because there are substitutes for electricity, there are no substitutes for water, especially when you have no money.We got a referral this week so we went and taught him. He brought up the scripture in Revelations about adding or subtracting to this book. And also some other common objections. We explained them all and made a return appointment where we go into his house and there are pictures of Moroni and Samuel and he tells us they were playing us and that he is a returned missionary! Oh man I was laughing so hard, I am so doing that when I get back home.Another day we went and taught a man named Kwenda. He is very religious and excited about maybe finding the truth but he talks for forever! And he asks so many questions. It is difficult to teach when you can't even talk. But we bore testimonies that kind of shut all his questions down. Hopefully he won't over think himself away from the truth. But we got there early, and there were some kids doing some handstands and some rolls, and since we were early I went over and started playing with them. Oh man, it was so much fun. The kids were very impressed and I helped a lot of them to do back flips and handstands. They started counting, 1! 2! 3! Go! And I would do a backflip, I did some other stuff, and there must have been twenty kids or so. The parents all came out and watched, so next time we go teach Kwenda I'm tracting in that area and teaching them all. Saying, "Remember me? I was that white guy doing some flips that one time? And I would like to share something with you is it all right if I come in?" Mass conversion! Well at least that's the plan.Also this week we found out transfers... and I am staying in my area! I was right! And my companion is staying too, but he is now a District leader! So things are still good. But one of my favorite people got transferred to Bulawayo, which was kind of sad but I'm sure I'll see him again. But this last Sunday, aka yesterday, church was awesome we had an investigator's class about Agency. We put a candy bar in one box and a Book of Mormon in the other and me and my companion tried to get an investigator to pick our respective boxes. I was representing Satan of course and my companion was the spirit and I totally won! She picked my box! But I'm not so sure that's a good thing... oh well it was an awesome lesson.Then in Elders quorum the teacher was spouting false doctrine right and left. Both my and my companion's shot into the air like five times each. Then the Mission President came in at the end and tried to fix it too, I'm not sure it worked. Then President Dube had an interview/training with my companion about being a District leader and then he drove us back. But in the car he was saying that I should learn from my companion while I can, because and I quote, "leadership comes early." Crap! I don't want to be a leader. I just want to be a regular missionary but it sounds like Pres. Dube has different plans for me. So pray for me please that I'll stay a regular old missionary. But this transfer we are getting seventeen new missionaries! Seventeen! That is a lot!Thanks for all the love and support!
Love, Elder Gay
P.S. I am 1/12 of the way through mission... it is going by so quickly! Tell my siblings they need to e-mail more often, except Pam, she is very good about e-mailing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment