Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

2/15/10 letter

After I last e-mailed we continued in the MTC for a day. We had some packing and washing to do and some last minute classes. But mostly we just shared our testimonies and what we had learned. When asked what our companions had taught us, Elder Kongolo kind of got teary eyed and said that when he got here he wanted to go home because the language was hard. But he said the Lord prepared me and Elder Samoela to help him. He said that we would help no matter what and that we were the reason he was still here and not going home. I don't know if I was prepared to help him or not but I am very glad that he's staying and I am grateful for all the prayers.I flew into Zimbabwe on wednesday. The five of us got there and we got picked up by President Dube. We drove to the offices and they started processing us and getting our information. Then we were interviewed and asked about our families, then we got our very first assignments. And I am assignded to... Kuwadzana, Harare! My comapnion is Elder Crossley and he's from Pleasant Grove, Utah... I know, right? I thought for sure my companion would be A) Black and B) African. Not someone who lived ten minutes away.He worked at the pizza factory in Lindon with Aubrey's good friend Hillary so tell her hi from Elder Crossley. We had an excellent lunch and orientation. Then we went to President Dube's house for Dinner and a testimony meeting. After we went to my new flat(house).He took me around and said this is the bedroom(there were no beds), this is the bathroom(there is a live wire and the toilet doesn't have a handle), this is the study room, this is the main room(where the beds are), this is the kitchen and we have a toaster! Which is awesome because most places don't have a toaster. So the bedroom has no beds because the house is infested with ants and if you sleep in any room besides the main room you'll wake up with ants in your mouth, ears, and pretty much everywhere. So the four of us sleep in the main room(we live with the zone leaders). The wall spiders are awesome too! They are anywhere from regular size to about a circle of six quarters. One of the bigger ones was missing to of it's right legs so I named it lefty. But then the one I named Dean Cain(don't ask why) ate it I think. I miss lefty. We like the spiders because they eat the mosquitoes! The roaches aren't even that big, which is awesome. We even have power most of the time, which is pretty dang cool.We've already worked a lot in our area and the first day we traveled by com-v. Which is you go to a road hold out your hand and fifteen passengers vans stop and you hop on the one that's going to your area. The first one I got on had thirty one people in it. I kid you not. I don't know how, all I know is that it was awesome.We got to our area and we went around and let me tell you I am really in Africa now. Little kids came and yelled "Murungu! Murungu!"(white person) They all ran around us and gave us a "big up"(hitting fists). They even came and pushed us on our bikes. We talked to some recent converts during the week and they were all awesome. Most live in one room "apartments" most with entire families, but everyone had a picture of Christ taped to the bare concrete wall. They are amazing people. Especially Sister Mudarikwa, she's not a member yet, she's getting baptized this sunday but she is pretty much a member and she is so strong. It's not too hot actually. It's been pretty nice, only one day was really hot. In one area we were visiting a family(they've been without power for a year but they just got it back!), I met a guy named... Reynolds? and Emmanuel? Anyway they're beyond flaming. I mean they put Ricky to shame! It was so funny. Yesterday we went to church and it felt like I was back in Utah except all the people were black. I got to bless the Sacrament and my companion confirmed someone. We had three people get interviewed for baptism. Then after the block, they asked a little boy, named Nephi Solomoni, who he wanted to confirm him and the little traitor pointed to me! So I reviewed the process quickly and I gave the blessing. I even think it worked! That was very awesome.Anyway I am working my very hardest and I am trying to speak with as many people as possible. Everything is just amazing here and I hope I get to be here for a while.Tell Matt that he is doing something amazing that he will never ever forget and that he needs to live everyday without regrets. Mom you are amazing and I can't believe I got you to be my mom! Dad I can't even explain how great an example you are!Be Strong. Never Give Up. Endure to the End.
Love,Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment