Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

2/22/10 Letter

Dear Everyone!I am in my second week here in Zimbabwe and things are going great! The city is pretty nice, imagine a really ghetto L.A. but smaller. Yea for the camera I need a cord but that might be hard because you might not get the right one but maybe you could send a usb with a sd slot. You know? So we had a lot of lessons and I've met a lot of people. Mostly we have a lot of referrals so we don't tract too much. One of my favorite families is the Dandara family! They have been members for a little less than a year excepting a son, Cleopas, who was baptized a couple months ago. They have a rowdy family and it reminds me a little of our family... except ours is a lot rowdier. Oh and before I forget, Mom I have the perfect hobby(ies) for you! Catching up on my scrap book! Or making those quilts out of those clothes I left! Any way those are just ideas. Or just go to St. George for the cold winter.Yea we were teaching Paul and Loraine Singau (powerful family, they have a cute little baby) and they had a baptism date so we asked them who they wanted to perform the baptisms and so they made us draw lots! Paul wrote "yes" and "no" on two scraps and had us each pick one. Guess who picked "yes"? Me! I can't believe they did that. So on sunday I baptized them and my companion baptized Sister Muderikwa. We took pictures and I didn't even mess up during the baptisms!But during the week we had a lesson with the Utete family, only the little ones really understand English, but after the lesson GoGo Utete(gogo means grandma) asked us for a blessing. She is awesome, she doesn't speak a word of English but she is very friendly and she is 110 years old. Yes, in fact, I did say 110! It was not a typo! And she doesn't even walk with a cane. Wow. Anyway so I anointed and my companion gave the blessing.But at church I taught the investigators class. It was on the Sabbath day. I thought it went pretty well. I only said three sacrilegious things(not really). But one of the investigators, as we were talking about what NOT to do on the Sabbath, said that we shouldn't set our houses on fire. A valid point that needed to be discussed I think. So I told him he was right and that actually we probably shouldn't do that on any of the other days either.As we were walking from the Com-v's we past this guy who had a very long branch with something on the end of it... it was a cobra! He had found it in his yard and had killed it with a shovel. When we walked past he was putting it in a bucket! I took pictures of it... that I'll be able to send soon... I hope. I thought it was so cool but my companion was freaked out, he doesn't like snakes.Which reminds me, as we were walking to church a chameleon was crossing the path, I tried to picked it up and take it home with me but it tried to bite me so I let it be.I'm not sure a whole lot else happened...we visited a Less Active who was very lost and confused. I hope he figures out that he needs to continue in the church, but right now I'm not sure he even knows which way is up. It was really sad. We also taught Tatenda who wants to be a Pastor when he grows up, hopefully we can stop that. He is very bright though, he knows his bible very well. Give Todd & Nicki my best, I pray for him and Nicki everyday.Tell the Allred's I just got their letter today and I very much appreciate it. I'm planning on writing back but I don't know when it will get there.Also tell Matt I'm jealous(not of the soccer in any way) but that he gets to go to Europe! I've always wanted to go. And Dad, good luck with the new business! I hope it takes off and you start earning loads so you can come pick me up from Africa.Be Strong. Never Give Up. Endure to the End.Love,Elder GayP.S. I think letters are fine... but pouch might be a lot cheaper... so it is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment