Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

May 31st Letter

Avocado, Chefs, Sixty year old hiney

This week has been almost a regular week in the mission field but here
are a couple of highlights.

On monday last week we went paintballing on P-Day! It was a lot of
fun, and my team won! We were playing and this guy was running towards
the wall(that is how you score a point) so I stepped in front of him
and massacred him. But I also got hit, it was all pretty macabre
actually, good thing it was paint and not blood. Then after we were
all inspecting our welts and bruises, and I had one on my stomach
which was huge! I won the biggest welt contest! Yay me!

Then a little later in the week we were at an investigators home and
they gave us an avocado. Ok so nothing too extraordinary about that.
So why am I telling you, you ask? Because it was the size of my head!
No joke either, I took pictures. We now have a very large quantity of
guacamole in our fridge right now :)

Also my shoes died :( Sorry Mom, but they did, the soles were
breathing when I walked. So I took them to a shoe doctor(aka a guy on
the side of the road with piles of dead shoes) and asked him to resole
them with tire! I leave them and in a couple days we come back and I
saw the coolest shoes ever. So I gave him five dollars and took my
awesome shoes! They are so cool and they will last forever, because it
is car tire! Yay!

Alfred and Florence canceled our last appointment.... so we will have
to see what happens. Then at Dorcas' we offered to help with
dinner(they were making us dinner) and to our surprise they said yes.
So we cooked for them! They really enjoyed it too. We cooked a
traditional African meal, for an African family, and they liked it! I
am African! Woot!

A family fed us peanut butter and rice(mixed together) and fish...
gross? Actually it was awesome. I am going to have rice with PB more
often!

Also we were going to an investigators house when I feel like we
should go to Lawrence's home(another investigator we haven't seen for
awhile). So I am pumped, I am thinking we will go and teach an awesome
lesson and everything will be great. We get there and he is gone! I
was so confused! I didn't know why we were supposed to go there. So we
offer to teach some people next to it and they decline so we leave and
I am still a little confused. When out from some random house walks
Lawrence, right as we are passing! So he invites us to his home and we
have a lesson. Which proves the Lord knows what he is doing even if we
don't! Because I cannot tell you how confused I was.

Then last night we were going home and we decided to say hello to
Maxwell. We get to his home and he invites us in and I realized he is
only wearing a shirt. And I mean ONLY. My companion doesn't even
notice, it is dark and there he has no lights or even wiring. So he is
finding us 'chairs' and I get a face full of hiney. Oh and did I
mention he is sixty years old? He is an awesome investigator, always
refers to the church as 'our' church and he is about to be baptized,
but I wasn't prepared for that. Luckily he put some shorts on after he
sat down. Then on the way home last night I saw a dead guy on the side
of the road. He got hit by a car, and was all mangled. Also something
I wasn't prepared for... I actually really could have lived a very
happy life without seeing that.

That was my week! I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am!!!!!
(I doubt it though :))

Love,

Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment