Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

collapsing, slash and burn and anger :)

Collapsing, Slash and Burn, and Anger :)

So this week I have a new companion, his name is Elder Bonface and he is tiny and from Kenya. Well we were biking in the area and were going to an appointment when he asks if we can slow down. I look at the time and say that there isn't time to slow down. We keep biking but I see a member so I stop to talk to them. Then my comp pulls up next to me and we are talking when he collapses. He just passes out and falls on his face and starts seizing. I go to help but he has already regained consciousness and asks where he is. We take him inside and they feed us and then we take him home and I make him rest.

Then at a service project for the Elder's Quorum we went to the lands owned by the church for the chapel. Then we slashed the very large plants that were covering it but only around the borders to create a fire guard. It took a long time but not as long as I was expecting. Then we set fire to the rest! All the while this guy in the branch is catching the grasshoppers and rats that are trying to get away from the fire so he can cook them for dinner... uh yea that is what I thought too. Then he gutted them with his HANDS and stuck them in his POCKET!!!! I couldn't believe it.

The lessons this week have been pretty good and we had eight investigator's at church. All the people have been pretty good. But yesterday we were contacting and this guy calls me over and says "Do you understand the bible?" I told him I don't understand all of it. Then he says, "Come and I will teach you." I thought excuse me? But I maintain my smile and proceed to invite him to church and he fat out refuses and asks why we go to church on Sunday. I try to salvage something but I can tell this is going no where and so I pointed to my tag and said this is the church I have been called to represent and he looks at the tag and says, "That is nothing. That means nothing." And that is when I got upset. I didn't understand what I was feeling at first because it has been a while since I've been angry. But that is what I was. How dare he tell me that my tag represents nothing?! Basically I just cut it off at that point and I am pretty sure he misconstrued my silence as fear or insecurity. But I will see him in the Spirit World and he will remember meeting me and he will wish he had listened :)

On to a happier subject, Patience's Mom just passed her interview! She will be baptized next week. Next we have to convert the father! Yes converting families!

That has been my week!

Love,

Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment