Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Transfers, Chaleka's, and driving to an unknown location

Dear Everyone!

Well this has been an interesting week. I am not sure what to really write actually because aside from being intense, I don't have my journal to remind myself of the week's happenings.

But to begin, I guess, I am emailing you from a different part of Zimbabwe... I was transferred and I am now in a city called Mutare. Which is on the side of Zimbabwe, very close to Mozambique. In fact, I could drive to Mozambique in ten or fifteen minutes. We were informed about transfers on Wednesday afternoon. We waited for the call for quite a while(three hours) and finally decided to call President Dube ourselves. I was informed that I would be leaving and I would be a district leader... honestly I can say that I don't feel prepared. I have only been out for six months. Everyone in my district(except one) has been on mission longer than me. And I am suppose to lead them?

It was difficult to say good bye to everyone in Kuwadzana. We had gotten very close and it was hard to leave. Especially all my recent converts but Elder Bonface is still there and he will take good care of them. But in my area I am also "white washing" which means they are putting two elders there who have not been serving there as opposed to just switching out one elder as is normally the case. So neither me or my new companion(Elder Blair) know anything about the area or the people. That will be difficult as well. Also as I try to be a good leader for the first time. There are a lot of new things to learn and to apply and I only hope that I am up to the task because right now I ain't to sure... but I will pray it out. Speaking of which, I have to teach a district meeting tomorrow... this is going to be intense.

Also the Chaleka's! They are one of the most powerful families that I have found and I had to leave. But they were at church on Sunday and they told me not to worry, because, and I quote, "Don't worry, me and my family will be baptized. But not before we know that we know what is expected of us, but we will be baptized." AHHHHHHH and I had to leave! But I am expecting that family to lead the church someday in Kuwadzana. but seriously.

I no longer have a washing machine and the persecution here is worse but I think we will find some people who are prepared if we work hard enough. But the house is powerful and I know that this transfer will be a huge learning experience. We confirmed those seven who were baptized last week and they went splendidly and the Branch is really getting on its feet I hope that near the end of my mission I can go back to Kuwadzana and see just how far it has come since I was first there.

But I got to drive to Mutare this morning. I had never been here before and it was three or fours away but we got here surprisingly because I really didn't know where I was going. But the drive was amazing. Africa is beautiful and I just hope that one day everyone gets to come and see for themselves. I got to look out over the whole city from the mountains. Also there were more baboons which is always fun!

But I will let you know how everything goes this week! I hope it goes well!

Love,

Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment