Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Aug 2nd letter

Dear People!

Well this first night I was in my new area we had no water! Yay! But it wasn't that bad because we had buckets with water in them. And the water came back the next morning.

We have been working a lot with some branch missionaries because we didn't know the area yet. But one told me a story of when he went to a lion farm and he saw hundreds of lions and the owner had his arm bitten off by one of them and he sold them to the chinese because they liked the lion meat.... I kept thinking it sounded like a location for some horror movie. Anyway I contacted this guy who was telling us he liked to burn bibles... because he thought they were full of stories. But don't worry he believed in Christ, just not the one from the bible who was crucified... I was so confused. He was thrilled by the shock on our faces too. Satan has a powerful hold on that man. All I was thinking was, "uh.........." I really was very confused.

I taught my first district meeting and it went well. It seemed like it did anyway. But right out of the city there are diamond fields. Yes , I in fact did say diamond fields. The people who were living there had no idea of their value until a few years ago. But until then they had been using them as a currency. Like two diamonds for a loaf of bread... I KNOW, RIGHT?! I just couldn't believe it. The next day our branch missionary, brought his uncut and unpolished black diamond. Apparently a lot of the people here have diamonds but the government is controlling the whole thing rather harshly. So most are afraid to go after the diamonds. But apparently, in parts of that area you can just pick up hundreds of diamonds that are just on the top of the ground. Like pebbles, shiny, high carbon content, very expensive pebbles.

Also, I have been pretty successful in learning the new area. It is not nearly as large as the last area and there are mountains. Which help me out a lot, seeing as that is how I grew up and learned directions. So I can actually get almost anywhere in our area right now without getting lost even once! I was kind of proud of myself(pride is bad:)) Anyway we have been getting to know the members and our branch president. He seems reluctant to work with missionaries but that will change.

Yesterday we met a man named Endy. He was deaf, old, and I think a couple cards short of a whole deck if you know what I mean(in case you didn't, I mean he seemed slightly and quite literally insane). We tried to talk about the Book of Mormon and he started talking about baboons and tourism. Then we tried to pull it back then he went off on 'theology' and the 'phenomenon within the philosophy'. Yea I had no idea what he was talking about but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Then after he blathers on and on he says "Well our time is up but when you come back we will discuss even more." Then he shows us the door. I am not sure what happened during that visit.

But I know that the Church is true and that Jesus is our Savior and Redeemer. Throughout mission I have come to believe Christ and not to just simply believe in Christ. Through him, everything is possible.

Love,

Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment