Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Monday, April 26, 2010

April 26th Letter

Sweater, Polygamy and Conference!

So this week has been short because of meetings and because of Conference. But on Friday we had a lesson with Alfred and Florence. They are doing really well and we followed up on the Word of Wisdom because Alfred smokes. He used to smoke a pack a day, but is now down to about three a week! Which is awesome. But we taught the Law of Chastity which includes only having one wife. He didn't say anything through the whole lesson even when we asked for input. Then at the very end, a member of the Branch Presidency, we were at his house, asked if he had any questions and he said, "Yea I have one very big question." My heart sank! We were so close to having no problems! He continued, "I have another wife..." Which isn't a question, by the by, but it still floored me. We found out they are separated and everything but he has remained married because he has been providing for her and the eight children he had with her, so I told him he needed to get a divorce, if he and Florence wanted to get baptized. Wow, that was weird, before I knew what I was doing I had already told him to end a marriage. I never thought I would have to do that!

Also this week was a pretty bad week for power, it would come late at night and leave before we woke up, so I ran out of ironed shirts and I couldn't iron a new one... So I put on a shirt but it was horrendously wrinkled. I didn't want to leave the house like that so I put a sweater over it. I know, right?! A SWEATER! In AFRICA! I was equally appalled at the thought but even more appalled at the thought of the wrinkly shirt, and you know what? It wasn't that bad. I didn't over heat and die or anything! It was a pretty nice day actually, or maybe I am just getting used to the heat... either way the thought that I wore a sweater in Africa is still strange.

Then one night we actually had power and so we started cooking quickly because we didn't know if it would go or not. And I started making Sadza, which is the staple food here. Then an Elder Mubwanda walks in, who is a native Zimbabwean, he looks in the pot and asks what I'm making, I tell him, he asks again, I tell him, he asks again. He was shocked that an American was making Sadza but I wanted to learn how so I decided to try! He told me to tell him when I failed, which I didn't! I totally succeeded, everyone I am officially African now!

Then on Saturday and Sunday we watched Conference on DVD because Africa at large doesn't get the broadcast so well. I had seen the Sunday Sessions before but the Saturday and Priesthood sessions were new. And I loved them! Oh wow I was enjoying them so much, it felt like Christmas, except better. We watched the Sat. Afternoon session last and I loved Elder Holland's talk. I started scribbling notes so fast but I just stopped because there was no way I was going to get it all. I want to watch that talk again, it was epic! I cannot wait for the Ensign so I can read it over and over again!

Anyway that was the week! Thank you all for the love and support!

Love,

Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment