Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Mon April 2nd Letter

Dear Everyone!
This e-mail might be a little shorter for reasons to be revealed later, but know that everything is going really well. Well our Zone leaders were in another accident this week. They hit a woman's arm with their side-view mirror which broke into the side window and it shattered. The Mission President is very not happy with them. Two accidents in less than a month... wow.

We had some pretty good lessons this week, and gave out some more Baptismal dates. Garikai Chizanga and Brian Nyabako were both preparing to be baptized this week and Garikai chose me to baptize him, which kind of peeved my companion, because he'd been teaching him since December.

On Thursday we were contacting people and telling them they should come to church. I contacted this huge group of drunk guys(it was 1 in the afternoon) which was sweet. My companion started contacting this guy who promptly held his hand, which sounds weird I know. But here it is very normal to see guys holding hands, not because they are gay, just because of a culture difference. My companion was freaked, he tried to contact him still though. I was laughing at him the whole time, mostly for the hand holding, but also because he didn't know I had already contacted him! Hahaha

Then Friday morning I woke up and was not feeling good. I had some fun bathroom visits, no vomiting, just the back door(and yes I think you did need to know that much). I didn't eat anything but we still went to our area, you know because of "Forget yourself and go to work!" right? We went to our first lesson and we walked in and there were eight people there. This guy had his whole family there. It was sweet and I was feeling okay at the time. But then I stood up... But I refused to go home. We still had appointments and I was going to them! We met with a few more people, and I started breathing heavier and my lips and fingers got tingly. The nausea just increased and finally my companion "forced" me home. I didn't put up much of a fight. I got there and I crashed on my bed. My companion called Sis. Dube and the Assistants came over. I got a Priesthood blessing and then they took me to the Hospital. Yay African Health care! Anyway I have an infection. At the hospital I had a fever of 38.8 degrees Celsius, which if you do the math is approximately 102 degrees Fahrenheit, yay fever! I'm still not feeling super awesome, and that is why this might be a little short today, but I am feeling a lot better. But the medicine they gave me I have to take with meals! What kind of doctor prescribes a medicine that requires meals to some one who is nauseated! Who I say?! But I'm gaining the weight back and things are going back to normal!

Then Sunday, the entire city of Harare had no water. We carried water from the chapel, they have a well, to our house, so we could have drinking water. That wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but we managed and the water came back this morning, a little bit anyway. Also on Sunday we taught this woman named Angela, her boyfriend is a member. Anyway she is very funny, she has told us to go to H*** a few times. And I think she is kidding. We didn't end up singing this week, because Devilias got sick on Sunday but hopefully next week we will. We baptized Garikai and Brian yesterday and they both bore pretty awesome testimonies too.

But the church got vandalized and robbed. Outlets, door handles, stove elements, electronic devices and just really random things were taken. So they are looking into upping the security. But during the baptism, we could only use one door because the handles were gone and you couldn't open the other one. During the closing hymn, the door shut! We were locked in and with out handles. I got my multi tool out(leatherman) and I went to work. I got it open and it was promptly closed by a ten year old who was trying to get in. So I had to do it again. I started laughing pretty hard.


That was my week! Thanks for all the love and support!

Love,

Elder Gay

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know this blog existed! Holy cow!

    That sucks that ya got sick steven (I'm I writing the comment to him or to someone else?) anyway, yea, that sucks. Sounds like everything else is awesome though! I'll have to read the other letters and any more that come from now on! =) uh...yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro, if you think hauling in all of your drinking water is tough, try finals! Just kidding, I'm sorry you got sick, but am glad you're feeling better. Try not to get into to much troubles, okay?

    ReplyDelete