Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Exchanges, exchanges and Church!

So this week was a week for exchanges. On Wednesday we went on exchanges with the Assistants. Which was cool because the Assistant who came with us was Elder Crossley. My very first companion and trainer. He has really grown a lot and it was nice to work with him again. The day in the morning kind of fell apart but we pulled it back together and had some very powerful lessons and we found new investigators. It was in all a good day and I enjoyed working with Elder Crossley again.

So after that we had a good day then another exchange on Friday. This time I went to Mkoba to work with the District Leader, Elder Ncube. While I was there I had the opportunity to talk with Elder Shields and he told me of his conversion. It actually occurred on mission. He had struggled earlier in his mission and had even wanted to go home because he thought he was wasting his time but he felt impressed to read the Book of Mormon. So he did. In 10 days. Then he prayed. Then he read it again. In 10 days again. Then he prayed again. Then he read it the third time. Again in 10 days. So in a month he read it 3 times and every time he prayed received the peace and joy from the Spirit that confirmed his answer. He knew it is true and he is a really great missionary and works very hard. I hope some day my testimony might shine as brightly as his. He truly loves the work.

I enjoyed the exchange with the District leader and he is doing well and I feel that he is preparing that area well and that we have very good missionaries in the zone.

So this whole week it has seemed like we have had nothing but fall throughs. Here let me count... we had 25 fall throughs this week and it seemd as though every day we fought for every lesson we taught. But at the end of the week, much to my surprise we had 27 investigator lessons. We even found some really great investigators. A family who we found on Wednesday came to church yesterday and their baptism is planned for the 25th! Which coincidentally is my birthday :) We have a number of baptisms planned for the 25th and what better way to celebrate my physical birth then with the Spiritual birth of my brothers and sisters? There is no better way! Woot! I am really excited for our investigators we have at the moment. We have really been finding some great people. Like Brother Garandamwa, his wife has been a member for some years and he has been an alcoholic for just as long. But his baptism is set for the 25th as well. When I asked him if we were done after we are baptized he said, "No, we need to prepare to go to the Temple." Powerful! They are already making plans for when they can go! Very, very exciting.

Although some of our investigators didn't come to church. So we visited them and taught them the imp[ortance of the Sabbath day. They felt very guilty. Especially Bela. I kind of felt bad for her. So I made sure I smiled more than normal during that lesson so she would know that she we cared and that is why we were chastising her. Although the way I put it sounds very bad. All we did was to teach the doctrine and her conscience convicted herself. We never said anything mean or angry but she still felt guilty because she didn't come.... hopefully she comes next week! :)

Hahaha on Sunday one of our investigators literally ran from us. She saw us pulling up and she bolted. Hahahaha my companion saw her and just started laughing! But even though she wasn't there we actually found someone who is more prepared and that lesson went very well. For we taught by the Spirit and she learned by the Spirit and she committed to be baptized! So the work is moving forward and we are doing well.

President Ndlovu, in the stake presidency, quoted me twice in the ward conference. The first time was when I shared Deut 1:2 with him and his family. They loved but I guess I didn't know how much until I heard him reciting it to the ward leadership and telling them he had gotten it from me! So I kind of felt a bit bashful after that... but it was cool.

We are having more exchanges this week and I am excited for that because whenI went with the District leader we were on bikes! I got to ride a bike and get out of the car! It was so nice to be on a bike again and to rush through the back roads and feel the wind. I felt like I was in my first area again!(Although my bum is a bit sore now.... the bike seat is more unforgiving than the car seat... :)).

Well that is all for this week!

Love, Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment