Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Friday, April 15, 2011

: The "Cloud", 1995, and the Strange Trophy

All right so they are remodeling our house and it was already an amazing house but they are bringing dining table and chairs, new beds, new couches, new kitchenware, and they are giving us an office where we can do our studies and planning and everything! It will be amazing. We have nicknamed it the Cloud House. Because everything is so nice and fluffy??? Alright so we don't really have a solid reason for calling it that but it was just one of those things and now it is a new slang term for us. If something is nice we call it "the cloud" but we say it funny so that if anyone hears us they will think we are insane! Yay!! THE CLOUD!!!!


Anyway, we were looking for some people to teach and we drove up to this house and they let us in and we find they are white people! They run a safari thingy and they have their houses there. Anyway they were all different religious backgrounds and none very similar to what we believe. One was kind of funny. He said he thought organized religion is a bunch of crap. And that Jesus Christ is only a prophet. He said he would be a tough nut to crack. But I thought it was kind of a pretense. My guess is that something happened and he became angry and has held a grudge but we committed him to read the Book of Mormon so I know one day he will invite the missionaries to share with him and he will feel the truth of it.


After that we kind of drove around and tried to listen to the promptings of the Spirit. We both were asking each other, do you feel anything? What about now? And we didn't really feel any specific guidance then the phone rang and my companion was talking an they asked for me so I stopped the car and talked to them. Then after I hung up the phone we looked out the window and saw we were stopped right in front of a gate. So we both said maybe we are being told something. So we get out(it is raining), and knock on the gate. A man comes and looks a bit surprised and lets us in. We come to find out from talking to him that he had met the missionaries in 1995 and asked them for a Book of Mormon. He said that he still had it and read it from time to time and that he really wanted to know if the book is true or not. But that last time he had moved away after talking to them. Unfortunately as powerful as this experience was, he has already moved again to a city where we don't have any missionaries yet. So I guess we were just there to remind him and to give him some encouragement. Crazy that he had just met them in passing, and then we just showed up at his door 16 years later!


We got this new investigator this week and she is great. She read like 10 chapters of the Book of Mormon, and managed to give a detailed summary of it. Plus she prayed and received her confirmation that it is true! Woot! She is great and she has a baptism date and she will most definitely be baptized very soon. Also that little boy in the painting is going to be baptized on Saturday. Yay!! There will four others baptized as well. We are still working on getting the new branch approved. So that is exciting. We met some people for the first time on Sunday when they came to church and we are excited to go and teach them. Some we have already begun teaching. So that is always fun.


My companion hates snakes and so we have had some fun times "arguing" about it. Me trying to prove that they are great and him trying prove otherwise. He keeps bringing up the Garden of Eden, and how Paul was bitten by a snake in Acts 28(But I would have bitten him too if he had thrown me on a fire). But I always win of course. Because lets be honest, snakes are so great they make a case for themselves. Right?


We have some great new investigators and guess what?!?!!? You remember Brother Simwanza? He helped us with our car and we baptized him and his family? Any way I ordained him to the priesthood and he was also called to be 2nd Counselor in the Sunday School Presidency! This guy is amazing!


When we were contacting I found this guy who didn't come to church(shocker...) but he had an earring in. Which is pretty common for the guys here but here is our conversation,


"Do you believe in God?" I ask seriously.


"Yes, of course" he replies indifferently.


"Do you believe he is your Father?"


"Yes, I do." He replies a bit more seriously.


I look right at him and say, "Do you think He is happy with what you have on your ear?"


"No," He solemnly realizes.


I hole out my hand and tell him, "Let me help you." Then he takes out his earring and I commit him to never put another one back in. Hahaha but now I have this fake gold stud and I don't know what to do with it.... right now it just some strange trophy. Maybe I will just throw it away. But isn't that funny? I thought it was funny. :)


Oh yea me and my companion made a giant samosa! We got a glass 9x13 and lined it with some dough we made and fill it with mince and tomatoes and onions and potatoes and other things and then we baked it. It actually turned out really good so we called it, are you ready? Cloud Pie! Yay! Oh by the way if you want to send me any recipes I would love them. It might be nice to make something I know I will be able to eat, especially chocolate chip bars! I need to make that! Yum!


We had Zone leader council and President Dube said some pretty nice things about me and said I should "pat myself on the back." Which was cool. It was a good feeling to know that he was proud of my service and he thought I was doing well. It made me feel like a cloud.... hahahahaha I really will miss him when the mission splits(and no I don't know anything for 100% sure but I have deduced as much). But I love you all and I get to watch Conference this week!!!!!!!!! Yay! Conference is powerful and I definitely need to listen/watch it! It has been too long! Do you think that if I asked President Monson he would do a General Conference quarterly?


I hope your week will be filled with clouds!


Love, Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment