Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Poem, The Painting, and the Possible Praying Place

Woot! I thought some alliteration would add something to the title. Don't you agree? So you remember when I told you about that poem I wrote at the airport in like five or ten minutes. Well here it is and I hope you like it! I will write it exactly as it left my pen, no alterations.


Always Smiling


A handshake, a smile,
Boiled water, or a blue pen.
A nap on hard tile.
Always Smiling


Baptism or fun
A letter and peanut butter,
The moon or the Sun
Always Smiling


Musical prowess,
A bird's song or a snakes strike,
Silly impOsSiblNeSS
Always Smiling


To be or to be,
Removing words for a meter.
x.y.p.d.z.
Always Smiling


Ndepi Shamwari
Flu, Boo! Coup, lieu... Hollabaloo!
Crazy fun, crazy crazy?
Always Smiling


pimpstripes and windpipes,
Being apart or together.
A bore or the hypes,
Always Smiling.


The truth always is,
flying, falling, the choice is yours
To react saddish,
or to remain...
Always Smiling




By Elder Steven Gay
18 Feb 2011 5:45 pm


Hahahahahaahha Well I hope it made you smile. It made me smile at least. Oh and "Ndepi Shamwari" means "What's up my friend?" in Shona the major language of Zimbabwe. :D Yay!


So do you know the painting of Christ with the little black child for Mothers Without Borders? Well it looks like this...





Well this painting I saw on my first day in Zimbabwe. And I loved the painting. The organization was created by a Utah mom and helps orphaned children. They have a location in Lusaka, Zambia. Where they house and educate some truly amazing kids. Well the woman who began it asked Liz Lemon Swindle, an artist, to do a painting for them. Well the man who portrayed Jesus Christ in the painting was there when we went to teach the children. Not only that but I met Kennedy, the little boy you see in the painting. I know the people in the painting!!!!!! The background in the painting is at Mothers Without Borders and I have been there! I would highly recommend that everyone buy the picture. It just boggles my mind every time I look at the picture to think that I know those people!


The Possible Praying Place, aka the possible meeting house, is going very well. It should be finished soon and they are landscaping and we have talked to them about a price and everything and it looks like the splitting of the branch will happen very soon. All we need is the approval. Yay progression!


Some other random happenings.


*We have 13 bicycles in our living room, because we are assessing all the missionaries' bikes in Lusaka.


*I made cookies and icing! Yum!


*I made a garlic Alfredo sauce.


*I made some sweet and spicy pork in a crock pot(as you can see I have been trying to branch out with what I cook).


*Bro Simwanza came to church but his wife did not and he told us her reason for not coming was "weak" and we need to address her concerns. He sounded like a member! He even answered a member's question about the purpose of the Elders Quorum President versus the Branch President. I couldn't believe it! He understands so well!


*Bro Simwanza bore his testimony on prayer and how he has been answered. He also said that night that we met him. He had passed right by us and went home! But then he said he felt like he should go out and help us. And now he has tasted the blessings of the Restored Gospel. Amazing! Ah!!!!!


Well I hope that you have a wonderful awesome week and never let anything dampen your countenance!


Love, Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment