Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Chocolate!, Bikes, and Baptisms!

Well this week has been crazy busy. So much has happened. We have had planning meetings for the luncheon in May. We have had meetings and finished the process to split the branch. We finalized the contract on the new mission home for when the mission splits. We bargained for, and purchased 10 bikes for the missionaries. Transporting them in our corolla was quite the feat we recruited another vehicle to help. Not to mention the combined baptism we had. It was crazy! So many things to accomplish and so little time!
So first to chocolate! So we got lunch one day and I purchased a chocolate covered cup of ice cream. Preparing myself for the usual scarcity of chocolate that usually accompanies bargain ice cream. But I think there was more chocolate than ice cream!!!!! It was AWESOME!!!!!! I was thoroughly pleased and look forward to my next visit.
Also I had a random desire to attempt to make a chocolate cake....

from scratch......

with no recipe....

I know, it has failure written all over it, doesn't it? But much to my surprise it succeeded(in the fact that it was enjoyable to eat)! The density thereof was somewhere between cake and brownie. Too dense to be a cake and too light to be a brownie but it was good nonetheless. Yay cake!!!!

Then to the bikes. It took almost 3 days to complete the process with the bikes. Well actually the new bikes has been almost a month and a half project in which we have researched many different bike shops, set up the tentative plans and found what was needed and getting everything approved..... but 3 days from this last week at least. Day 1 we went and bargained and made the deal and set the terms. Day 2 we paid the money and transported the bikes to our house. Day 3 we distributed the bicycles to the missionaries in our corolla! Craziness! Hahaha on the day we were purchasing the new bikes, we get a call that two of the missionaries were mugged and they stole their bikes! hahahaahaha so we didn't give them new ones but we got them some of the old ones. No one was hurt, except maybe their pride. But isn't that ironic that it coincided perfectly with the day we were purchasing brand new ones!? I thought it was funny at least.


Then we had 8 of our investigators interviewed on Tuesday and they were baptized on Saturday! It was great. We combined it with the Sister missionaries and they had 9 being baptized so there were many in white that day! We didn't have room in the baptismal font room so we had the service in the Chapel and just went there when we were witnessing the baptisms. So I have a crazy story. One of them who was baptized his name is Justin. We found him through members and we were teaching him then one day he brought his wife and son, Patson, to church. The sisters asked if their investigator attended our branch(we meet at the same Chapel). They said his name was Patson.... So long story short they were teaching Justin's son and we were teaching Justin but we found them completely independent from each other! They were both baptized this last Saturday! Isn't that just perfect!


We were so excited and at the baptism people were in tears because of how cool it was for so many to be abptized at once. Byy the way,it was the longest baptismal service I have ever attended! But definitely worth it! Plus we have another family who will be baptized this Saturday! Yay Restored Gospel!


So that is what is happening with me. Wait let me check my journal to see if anything funny happened......


So I found this out this morning actually. So Elder Dowse walks up this morning and he is talking to me and I see he has a black eye. I ask and this is what happened....


What happened on my side-


So yesterday I had called them to find out if a family they were teaching came to church. The phone cut suddenly and I thought it was simply network. So I just put the phone down and I get distracted by something else. A bit later he calls back and we talk about what I had wanted to discuss and then we end the phone call.


What happened on his side-


So he is riding his bike when I call. He answers and successfully goes over a speed hump one handed while talking on the phone. he feels like he shouldn't go over the second hump but decides it would be no problem for he had successfully defeated the previous one. He crashes(this is when the phone cut) and he is thrown to the ground and his perhaps too close companion runs over his face with his bicycle. After some minutes to untangle and regain his composure they call me back.


I kind of felt bad for causing such an accident but it was really funny!




Love, Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment