Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Mother, Its the Mormons.", Baptisms, Oregon?, and "Ma Coloreds"

We had a very busy week and it was tiring and filled with so many things but it was a very good week over all. We had someone come to our house and ask us if we can come visit him and his family so we go and the father isn't there but we knock on the door and this girl comes out and in a very articulate manner, greets us and says, "Oh, Mother, its the Mormons." Hahahahahaha I laughed so hard(on the inside, because that would have been rude) but then the Mother comes out and I am expecting her to greet us in Shona but she greeted us in a very not Zimbabwean Accent and she is one of the most well spoken people I have ever met. This family is great. They invited us back and things were just awesome. They even kept their promise and I am very confident they will be baptized.

Then during the week we had some meetings and we had a lot to arrange because we took a missionary home and we had this and that and we had to prepare for the baptism on Saturday and things were very intense and it seems like we don't have enough time to do all that we need to do! But the baptism went very well. There were a few hiccups but nothing major and their testimonies were powerful. They are going to be very strong members of the church and they will be very active!

Last week in the email shop there was this white guy who talked very funny. He asked some of the workers if they knew someone who could type fast and they pointed at me! So he asks me if I can help him but we were just about to leave. But we talked for a bit, he is from Oregon and he is doing some welfare work and he has been here for about a month. His accent was so weird! I couldn't help thinking if that is how I used to talk.... I think I talk differently now but I guess we will find out on Sat when I call, do I talk funny? I was very surprised to meet someone from Oregon in Zimbabwe... strange!

Then just yesterday we went to a members home that had invited us and their daughter was very hyper. It was funny. Then she starting yelling, "Ma Coloreds! Ma coloreds aripo!" Colored is a term to describe a person with a black parent and a white parent. Making a light skinned black(don't worry it is a very normal and accepted term, not offensive in any way). But she was saying the coloreds are here! ahahahaha it was hilarious! My companion is light skinned as well. So we are both light skinned people! Yay!

So much has happened but I don't know how to put it in a letter! Merry Christmas!!!

Love, Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment