Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Aug 9th Letter

Satanism, not American, and Impromptu Speaking


So not a lot happened this week, other than the usual things so this might not be a very exciting email. But if you read on anyway I hope you'll enjoy anyway.

So this week we have been visiting some people and some new people have joined in. In the course of the lesson we find out that they wanted to see the Satanists and if we really suck blood. One of them was particularly funny. She asked why people called us that and what is the Book of Mormon really about. We start explaining and she seems to be accepting it all actually. But she told us that a few months before she had kicked the missionaries out of her property before when they had gone to teach her grown sons who really wanted to learn. She picked up their Book of Mormon, threw it down and yelled at them to, "get it out of the house because I don't want to die!" I started laughing and she said that she would read and pray and that her children would be shocked that she had the book. So hopefully that family will now receive the Gospel.

Also another story I heard from a member is they were at a funeral and there were a lot of non members. It got full and they were opening the cultural hall and, a woman startled at the noise, grabbed her hand and was saying, "I knew I shouldn't have come here. They are going to kill us and in such a beautiful building too. We are going to die! I knew I shouldn't have come here!" Anyway the member kindly explained they were creating more space for those that were standing and she was a member and she would take her on a tour of the building after the service... so unfortunately people have a slight misconception about the church.

Also no one here thinks I am American. People said that I am English, South African, Tongan, Swedish, Danish and yesterday I even heard someone saying he thought I was Korean. But I don't think a single person has said the USA. Do I look racially ambiguous? Or are these people just severely confused?

So then on Sunday at 9 o'clock we get called into the Branch President's office and they ask if we can give talks... we consent and I speak about forgiveness and it's role in repentance. I thought it went well actually.


But that has been the week! Thank you and mail here is slower so if you wrote me and you haven't received a response I might not have gotten your letter or my response might be in the mail.... sorry!

Love,

Elder Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment