Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Grand Grandy's, Road trip!, The rebellious Muslim, and the END IS NEAR

Well this week has been very busy and it has been quite fun as well. The couple missionaries came because we were looking for a house for some new couple missionaries that are coming. We spent the whole day with them looking at houses and the chapels. It kind of felt like we were on a road trip and they were our parents. They even had snacks for us in the truck and me and my companion were laughing and making jokes in the back seat. It was very funny. It wasn't a normal day on mission by any means but it was very fun and I liked it a lot.

Then after that we went to have a lesson with the Grandy family. For the longest time I just kind of felt like we needed to share the Word of Wisdom and some of the commandments. But I just didn't. I don't even know why not. Because they had been telling me that they had been going through a hard time lately. But this time in the lesson I just flat out told the Grandy's what I was thinking. I told them that I had made a mistake in not sharing these things with them. I told them I had been wrong to withhold these commandments from them because they had shared with me they had needed the blessings. MY companion looked super shocked that I had told them I had made a mistake. But I felt like I needed to be very honest with them. And they seemed to appreciate it and they are just doing great.

We had a referral named Mrs. Brown. She is an Indian woman who grew up in Zimbabwe and we found out during the lesson that she is a Muslim. She was telling us all about the things that she was suppose to be doing because of her religion but that she wasn't doing. She really wanted to know more about Christ and Mary and about the Book Of Mormon. Mostly she has just been confused by all of these different Christian religions. She is very open to the idea that she might be going the wrong way and she is ready to leave everything if she believes it to be true. She even said that she would leave her husband in the Muslim church by himself. Hahahaha I just wanted to laugh. She is a very funny person. She is the first Muslim I have taught. It is a different experience. She was so confused about all of these different religions but she knows some inactive members of the church that told her that it is the only true church and she was open to the idea because she knows them.

When the couples were down and we were with them. They told me that my name was on the board in the office! DUN Dun dun...... They told me that my work visa is almost gone and they are trying to renew it but they are finding difficulty. Which means I could be leaving the country very soon. It expires on the 18th of Feb. So I could be leaving Zimbabwe and the mission is about to split. Which could mean that I could never come back and I might be in the other mission and I will get a new Mission President. The END IS NEAR!!!!! I don't know that I am leaving for sure and my companion just tells me that I am beloved and President wants to keep me in this mission and that me leaving is just my deranged delusion. But it is extremely possible, let me say probable, that I will leave the country for some various reasons.

1)My visa is expiring.
2)I have been in Zimbabwe my entire mission.
3)I have been in this city since July last year.
4)President wants his missionaries to serve in all 3 countries....

These are the reasons I think I will leave. I don't really have any credible evidence or reason for me to stay. So..... bon voyage!

We also made dinner for our Branch President and his wife. That was really fun. I was expecting it to be very awkward and all sorts of funny things to be said. Some times they are a bit socially awkward. But it was just cool. They enjoyed the Kenyan dish we made for them and they were telling us stories and we talked about our families and it was just awesome. I feel like we have a better relationship with them now. Cool beans.

Love, Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment