Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Monday, November 1, 2010

The ministry of defense, uh... push start?, and Elder D. Todd Christofferson!

Don't worry everyone, we found that elder who was missing. His com-b had been stopped by the police and he had to catch another one and things were juts happening and so things got a little complicated but he is located and he is safe.

we had our Zone Meeting and it went well I thought. My companion had a good presentation on prayer. I felt edified. Then after we went tracting, because my new area is similar in receptiveness to a European mission. So we were tracting to find people! Yay!

But anyway we tract into this guy. He comes out and we introduce ourselves and things seem to be going well. Then he tells us he doesn't have time because he is at work. But I was confused because it looked like a house to me so I ask him what he does for work. He says he works for the ministry of defense... I am even more confused. SO I comment on the lack of a sign and the lack of his shoes. Yea he wasn't wearing shoes because of the "weather".... yea I don't know either but anyway. I asked if they were undercover or something because of the no sign thing and he says yes.... This guy is either a terrible liar or I don't even know but I wasn't buying this story but he said he lived somewhere outside of our area anyway so I don't know... But I uncovered the location of an undercover branch of the Ministry of Defense!!!! If I don't email next week please know that I was imprisoned for leaking national secrets:)

But enough about that. So we had an appointment with this guy so we meet him where we met him for the first time and he said he was lacking on time so we just had a short lesson in the car. But when I go to turn the car back on, nothing... So we try to push start it, but it just isn't working and so this guy decides there must be no petrol, which there is but he goes any way and brings us some petrol for which we are very grateful but it still isn't working. So they bring the battery out of their car connect it to our battery with two wrenches and we jump the car and it goes on just like that. Then we leave to ZL duties and what not. So that was fun....

But we left Mutare on Friday because Elder D. Todd Christofferson was coming to address us. So every single missionary in Zimbabwe is there in Harare and it is crazy and I am a little confused because ALL of my previous companions are there so that was strange. But the next day when he came we were all waiting at the Mbare chapel and we were set up for a picture and I end up dead center front row.... I don't know how. But Elder D. Todd Christofferson arrives with our mission president and some other General Authorities and they come for the picture and Elder D. Todd Christofferson comes right in front of me... They told me that the picture was suppose to be in the Ensign, but I don't know if that is just a rumor or what. But it was his first visit to Zimbabwe so it might be. So if you see a picture of him with a lot of missionaries look behind him and you should see me, but they might have cropped me out... So I am not sure what is going to happen with that.

But he addressed us and it was great. I felt like I learned a lot and it was good to see all of the elders that I know in the mission. But it felt good to come back to my area. But while we were there we were helping to get things ready and preparing things, and... who am I kidding? We were running errands. One of them was to go to the airport and collect a missionary returning home. So we were waiting and this couple comes through and addresses us as elders and they are talking and they ask if we are the ones that are suppose to collect them. I just look at my companion and turn back and say, "Not really... we are suppose to collect someone else but we can take you..." So they call and they figure things out and they said it was alright to leave them there but it still felt weird just leaving them like that....

We were in Harare for about three days. We left Mutare Friday morning, and spent all day Saturday, and then left Harare on Sunday afternoon. I am not sure I have ever done so much driving before in my life. I might have, I am not sure, but the proximity of the events make it seem larger in my memory. Kind of like if you are closer to an elephant it seems bigger than if you view it from afar. The size isn't changed just your perspective.... Sorry I got off on a tangent.

Some random events that made me happy-

>I got a caramel dipped ice cream cone!
>A less active called me mukwasha(son-in-law) the very first visit.
>I unpacked my stuff this morning!
>I got a letter.(thank you YW of the CV 3rd ward)
>Christmas is in two months!
>I got another letter.

Love,

Elder Steven Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment