Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 10 2010 letter

Tea, Maxwell, Mother's Day, and the doctor!

This last week has been very busy. Tuesday we saw Dorcas and her family. We taught the Word of Wisdom and they committed to live it. They were very apprehensive about tea though so we took it out of their house and brought them herbal tea. Which was exciting they are a very friendly and accepting family. Hopefully they'll be baptized soon but they haven't been abe to make it to church for a while, so we'll see what happens.

So here's a story for everyone and I hope you enjoy it. There is this guy named Maxwell and we always go to him when our bikes have problems because he is awesome and he fixes the missionary bikes for free. Every time we invited him to church and he just laughed at us and looked at us like we were little kids, which we kind of are but lets not dwell on that. Then this last week my companion Elder Crossley was leaving so he told Maxwell that if he came to church he would get a button up shirt and a tie. Well he came to church and I gave him his bribe. But he kept telling me how beautiful this was and that he had something to tell me. So we passed by and he told us he wanted to be taught because he loved how he felt at church! So we planned a time and then we came back and I was planning to teach the restoration and I felt good about it too. But then he started asking questions that fit perfectly into the Plan of Salvation and so we shifted the lesson and he loved it. Plus we had given him a Book of Mormon at church which he was reading! So we are preparing him to be baptized and I am thrilled! Yay Maxwell!

But one day my companion woke up sick so I forced him to be taken to the doctors. I have been to the doctors a little too often on mission I think. But we got him checked and he has a sinus infection so he some meds and we went back to work. But those meds really worked he got so happy and energetic it was kind of disconcerting.

Then on Saturday night, went to a member family's home. They have a returned missionary and they are some of my favorite people. But I told my new companion they were investigators.... They asked so many hard questions and he was trying to get control, but he never did. He tried sharing scriptures but the family and told them to say they couldn't trust his bible because it was published by the church...

Our house flooded because a "plumber" "fixed" our toilet. I woke up and had to swim basically to the valve to turn off the water. That was kind of fun.... not. But it is an experience.

Then yesterday was Mother's Day. Which was exciting but didn't seem real because Zimbabwe isn't a huge Mother's Day country. But I got to talk to my awesome Mom and let her know that I really am ok here in Africa and that my emails actually say what has happened.

So that has been my week I hope yours has been greeeeeaaaaaaat! (If not look for Frosted Flakes :))

Love,

Elder Gay

1 comment:

  1. Hey we just found your blog. So cool everything that is happening!!! Keep up the good work... Love, Mike and Andrea

    ReplyDelete