Favorite Scripture

Deuteronomy 1:2
"There are eleven day's journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadesh-barnea."
Confused? One of his favorite seminary teachers taught using this as a the preface. She explained that the journey took 40 years, should have taken eleven days as the scripture says. If we are doing what the Lord wants, then our journey doesn't need to take 40 years.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fruit Bullet and a Satanist, it was the worst of houses and the best of houses, Guilt and

Well last Monday as we were shopping, I was standing outside the store waiting for some other Elders and I feel something hit my bum, so I look around but I don't see anything but then I see that crazy woman who hit me with chips and I see a chewed peice of fruit on the ground. She looked behind, smiled and then kept walking. I know, right?! This woman is out to get me! Spitting fruit bullets at my rear? Really? Oh yeah before that as I was walking into the store this guy whispered, "satanist..." Just loud enough for me to hear. I ignored him, so he said it again. I ignored him for the second time. So he said it again, louder! And thrice I denied him! But how juvenile can you be? He said it trying to get a response and a reaction from me. He was sore displeased with my lack of reaction.

In one of the areas we are looking for a new house because the one they are in now is terrible. No power, no water, people living in the back, a broken water meter, and no way to lock the gate... enough said. So we were looking for a house and we contacted someone and went to look at the house. Well, we drive and drive and it is on the edge of their area. So we pull up and we see a large house with a small attachment on the side. We go around and the "house" they were talking about was the small attachment. 1 outlet, 1 sink, 1 toilet and three small square rooms. The entire thing wasn't even the size of our garage and the ceiling was much lower as well. Obviously we said no, which was sad because the people were really nice and friendly.

Then we went to check the real estate agencies. Not a single one had anything where we were looking. It was kind of ridiculous. But then two days later one of them calls us and we go look at it. This place is nice! Walled, gated, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 1 lounge, 1 dining room, 1 kitchen, carpeted bedrooms, tiled elsewhere. I was very impressed. I called the people to come look at it and I think there will be no problem in us getting the house. I have not seen a nicer missionary house than that in all of Zimbabwe. It is almost too nice for missionaries. Almost.

Well last week some of our investigators didn't come to church. I thought it might have been because they were hung over from the Christmas Holiday. We hadn't taught them the Word of Wisdom yet and that is a major thing that is done here. I thought I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't stressed about it because I had already reasoned it out in my head. But then we went to their place for a lesson and we were talking to them. They apologized for not coming to church and said they didn't come because in the morning they had no power and couldn't iron their clothes. I felt terrible. I had totally judged him, and I even thought I was doing the righteous thing by not judging him! I didn't give him a chance. So I studied charity to repent myself. I was guilty and he was innocent.

Also we went to the Manyande family and had a lesson with them. We asked where Bro. Manyande was(because he wasn't there), they said he had taken a job in Chipinge! He totally moved! Sis. Manyande told us because he felt like he needed a more honest job. He was helping people in the courts but he wasn't certified in law. So he took a job as a farm manager in Chipinge in order to have a clear conscience. The family is going to stay here but he will be there and will make trips back for church as often as possible.

I had an enjoyable new year. We had a braai with the other missionaries and we had fun! But the celebrations here weren't that intense it kind of seemed like it was just another day for the people here. The Jambwa family is doing good. They came to church yesterday and they are reading. Sis Jambwa said that the Book of MOrmon teaches the same things as the Bible but is so much clearer and easier to understand! YES! She is very smart and she is becoming converted through the Book of Mormon.

I saw the BIGGEST mushroom EVER!!!!! It was as big as my face. NO joke. I will send a picture next week. It was massive. That same crazy woman who hit me, and spit at me, came up to me on Friday and started babbling at me in Shona. She seems to really hate me, or like me. I can't tell, she is crazy after all. But as for the week I had it was busy and intense and this week is transfers. So I have been in this city for 6 months already. I might be leaving, I might not, I don't know! But it will be busy I can tell you that!

Love, Elder Steven Gay!

No comments:

Post a Comment